Is Your Fireplace Safe?

Have you ever thought of the safety of your fireplace? There are many incidents which could be very dangerous for you and your family if the fireplace is not safe. One of which is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning claims an average of 3,000 to 4,000 lives each year, and the reason behind it is the poor maintenance of the fireplace. This is the result of incomplete burning in the fireplace. A low level of poisoning will cause flu-like symptoms to someone who is exposed to carbon monoxide. This would make the person think that they are just having the regular flu. However, advanced poisoning would progress to vomiting and headache, which would eventually lead to death. This is because the body sometimes prefers carbon monoxide over oxygen when the two are present in the atmosphere. That is why it is very important to know the safety status of your fireplace.

Chimney fires are a major threat to your property. This is caused by creosote buildup in the chimney. Creosote is a gummy, tar-like substance which can be found in the flue. This substance can catch fire and the first stage of the fire cannot be noticed immediately. However, when creosote catches fire, it has a sound which would be like a jet on a low altitude. The most common accident which involves fireplaces is chimney failure. Due to wear and tear the bolts and bricks may eventually wither and break. First signs of this are cracks that you may find in some of the visible masonry. However, another reason for the wear and tear of the chimney is poor maintenance. That is why it is highly advised to have your chimney maintained by experts who know all about what to do. Have your chimney checked to answer the question: is your fireplace safe?

Leave a Reply




Post Comment

Connect With Us

FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle PlusYouTubeRSS

Call Us Today! 615-459-2546

Schedule an appointment online.
BBBMerchant CircleAngie's List 2013 Super Service AwardNashville Scene Best of Nashville 2010CSIA

NCSGBBB Torch Awards
Donate to injured fellow sweep John O'Donnell
© Ashbusters Chimney Service. All Rights Reserved. | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
Made by Spark Marketer